Label
509 Oswald St.
Historic Landmark
Sponsor: Gadus
Title
Declaring the intent to designate the building located at 509 Oswald Street, Toledo, Ohio a historic landmark; and declaring an emergency.
Summary
SUMMARY & BACKGROUND:
In 1883 a portion of the Cherry Street Bridge was swept away by ice and flooding making it difficult for the German Catholic immigrants, that lived and worked in East Toledo, to attend St. Mary's, located at Cherry Street and Michigan Street, in downtown Toledo. The German Catholics petitioned Father Thein, of the St. Louis Parish, for permission to establish a German-speaking Catholic Church in East Toledo.
The "Church of the Sacred Heart" was established in 1883, and a wooden building was constructed to house the church and school at the corner of Oswald Street and 6th Street. By 1888, 120 families attended Sacred Heart Church and the school had 90 students. The same year Father Eilert began his 25-year ministry at the Sacred Heart parish. He purchased additional land to construct a school to be taught by the Sisters of Notre Dame. The Sacred Heart School is considered the oldest school building still standing in East Toledo.
In 1900 the original wood structure was destroyed by fire. The parish began to rebuild on the same site and a foundation cornerstone was placed the same year with the inscription "Herz Jesu Kirche" which translates to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The new Sandusky stone Church was constructed by founding parish members Julius Comte and Joseph Kesting and completed in 1906, with the first mass was held on Christmas day. The cost of construction was $93,690 and over the next six years a new organ would be purchased, Carrara marble statues and pulpit were added, and additional ornate details were added.
By 1913 Father Eilbert's health had deteriorated, upon his resignation Reverand John Haupert served the parish until 1936. In 1914 fifteen stained glass windows, depicting the Life of Jesus, were commi...
Click here for full text